1/22/2012

I heart Music

Last night I was driving the van with my two youngest and "Tiny Dancer" (the Ben Folds live version) began to play. The catchy piano melody always evokes emotion. (And reminds me of the scene in Almost Famous.) Anyway, a few lines in I hear a sound behind me and I think I know what it is but I check the rear view mirror to be sure. It is the sound of my baby's hands clapping together. She has a huge smile on her face. No one prompted her to clap or smile or do both at the same time. She's just hanging out in her seat clapping and smiling and feeling good.

I cannot explain how I felt in that moment. The music, the baby, the chubby hands, the 6 toothed smile, the legs bouncing...there are no words. Now this song will forever remind me of my little tiny dancer and her clapping that made me feel good all over.

Music does that. You can close your eyes and hum a melody and you're somewhere else. Of all the things God created music is one of the most amazing. From just a few tones we can make an infinite number of melodies. And they can make you feel things. Even one note played in a certain way can convey a feeling. It is incredible. My cello teacher used to tell me to "make it sing!" And I knew exactly what she meant.

My older kids have been into the Beatles. Tonight the whole family is in the car listening to "Ob La Di Ob La Da" and we're just together. We're in it together. There is no escaping. We're all listening to the same thing. The windows were down, it was loud, it's about a couple of kids running in the yard-- there is laughing in the song for crying out loud-- it just made me love music all over again.

And then "Julia" comes on and everyone gets really quiet. For the entire song. It's never quiet in the van. It was amazing. They were really just listening.

Then we went to our church Fellowship group and talked about the excellencies of Christ. I'm going to proclaim it. Music! Music is excellent. I am truly grateful for it.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above.." James 1:17

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." 1 Peter 2:9

No comments: