8/06/2008

Yes and No

So today I was changing Cash's dirty diaper and he said "Mom, hurt!" probably because I was having to wipe so hard to get all the poop off, or maybe because I have to grip his ankles with a death grip because he is so big, heavy, and strong. Anyway, I went into this lecture about how if he would just poop on the potty, then I wouldn't have to to change his diapers and therefore it wouldn't hurt. These lectures, by the way, are TOTALLY POINTLESS. But somehow it makes us feel better as mom's if we just tell them how logical it is that they make in the toilet, even though from birth we teach them the exact opposite. I think that maybe, just maybe, if I use enough random logic and big boy words, then my two year old will all of a sudden look at me and say, "Yes mother, you're right. I've been so silly. Of course I will poop in the potty from now on. Please forgive me. You will never have to wipe my rear again." Humph.

I ended my lecture with, "Cash, it would make me SO HAPPY if you made your poo-poo in the potty. Don't you want to make mommy happy?"

To which he responded, "YES nnNO!"

So all day I've been thinking about this "Yes and No" answer. There seems to be so many questions in life that are just that. Not a "Yes" or a "No" but a "Yes and No" because of the war that wages within us. It just took a toddler to sum this up. Yes I want to do the right thing, but No I don't because that would mean submission to someone bigger than me. Children provide quite a window into human behavior. May we all learn to poop in the potty in our own time. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

allhisblessings said...

OH I remember having the exact same conversations with Noodle! Except she would just scrunch up her nose and give me her best angry eyebrows and say "NO!"