8/10/2011

Life without Internet

Hello blog! We have been without phone and internet for about two and a half weeks...due to the move and other obstacles. I didn't really notice it much for the first five or six days. Then, I sort of wanted to look some things up and check mail and watch Netflix. But we have survived and broke the internet fast and I'm watching Father of the Bride on Netflix while writing this blog. Why don't they make movies like this anymore? ("Welcome to the 90's Mr. Bahnks.")

I was still writing blogs though. In my head. Here is a list of everything I would have blogged about if I'd had an internet connection. And time. We've been pretty busy working on moving out and moving in.

1. I would have blogged about how much dirt and dust was unearthed when we moved the furniture. I could have stuffed a small pillow with all the dust balls.

2. I would have blogged about finding an uncountable number of dried boogers on the walls when cleaning the bunk room in our old house.

3. I would have blogged about my kids watching Annie for the first time and Cash saying to me, "Mom, I gotta go baf-room" and somebody answering "When you gotta go, you gotta go!"

4. I would have blogged about Penelope's current cute words like "prastic" (practice) and "berember" (remember) and me catching her saying "Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider." (I said, "We don't say stupid," and she said, "I didn't say stupid, I said stupider!")

5. I would have blogged about life without internet. How you feel a little "stupider" than the rest of the world because you don't have a wealth of information at your fingertips. When I was growing up, we went to the set of encyclopedias and dictionary. We used cookbooks. Now, I can google "what to cook if you only have a can of chicken soup a sweet potato and some grapes" or answer questions from the children about presidents or bugs or Bill Cosby with the click of my mouse.

6. I would have blogged about how hot it is. How I want to take a shower every five minutes. How my kids have enjoyed riding their bikes in our new driveway and playing outside but they come in looking like the orphans from Annie and smelling like kid sweat and the outdoors.

7. I would have blogged about how the stuff from my old house fit in there like a puzzle. There was only one place each piece of furniture could fit. And now, I keep moving things around trying to figure out the puzzle of this house. And how can we move from a house with no garage to a house with a two car garage and have it full of junk? How I'd like to throw it all away sometimes instead of find a place for everything. And about how hard it is to get to all this organizing when you have five children!

8. Lastly, I would have blogged about how cute my baby is and how she's growing up so quickly and how I can barely get time with her because everyone loves her so much and kisses her constantly. She is a precious gift.

The kids have done great with the move and though it has been crazy we have been brought closer as a family (much of that is due to life without internet too) and I am grateful for our new house and neighborhood. We love it here. We have great neighbors all around. I am trying to hide the crazy madness that is my life. I don't want to bring the neighborhood down with my semi-white trash family. Don't worry mom. We have stopped throwing our dirty dishes in the yard.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I want to read every one of those blogs! I would also like to see pictures of your new house!